Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Five Line Movie Review ~ The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I held off watching this movie, it looked interesting, but seemed to be too much of a feel good piece to me. I love Ben Stiller but still kept my distance. But I kept seeing that poster board for it on Apple TV and it called to me. So I watched it and was surprised.

This movie starts with a surprise as the disinterested, miltonesque office worker is not in fact some displaced day dreamer, but rather a meticulous photo engineer. The premise and direction of the movie are very simple, we see the old being cleansed by the new and the resulting nostalgia that always results as people try to hold on to what is gone. But Walter, and the movie, accept their fate and with that in hand embark on a really simple, but cool series of adventures. Their is no pretentious lesson here; its a simple quest to find a moment in time, lost in a most unsurprising way; the love story is so understated its really captivating. Its worth the money you'll spend on it and the ending wraps the movie up so nicely that it leaves one comfortable with our ever changing world.

No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...